Does your business need extra storage space from time to time?
Lack of storage space is a common problem for many expanding businesses. And if your need for extra storage capacity has become more regular, or is extending for longer periods, you might have considered moving to larger premises. But is your business really ready for that?
Many businesses in your situation have benefitted from using self-storage facilities. Self-storage gives you the flexibility and convenience of extra storage space without the cost or upheaval of moving.
Finding new premises takes time and effort
Looking for a new premises that meets the specific needs of your business can be a challenge.
Just some of the things to consider include:
- Location and accessibility
- Inside space for your offices, warehouse etc
- Outside space for parking
- Future growth and expansion plans.
Finding the right property can be a huge drain on your time and energy — time and energy you could be investing in other, more lucrative areas. And, depending on the size and nature of your business, it could take a year or more from finding a property to moving in. Moving your business can be costly.
Just some of things you need to budget for include:
- A relocation/acquiring agent to cost out the move
- A solicitor, who will be involved from the outset
- A building survey
- Initial costs, like a down payment and stamp duty land tax
- Refitting the new premises to meet your business needs — this will be subject to the landlord’s approval and could cost even more
- An increase in business rates, insurance and service charges. Why you should consider self-storage.
Self-storage offers a number of advantages:
- Flexible — extra storage space as and when you need it
- Convenient — great locations with easy access to your space
- Affordable — reasonable rates to suit your budget
- Secure — locked and monitored by CCTV.
How much does self-storage cost?
Costs for self-storage vary, so you will need to get a quote. To do this, you will need to work out how much space you need and how long you will need it for.
As a rough guide, the contents of a:
- Car or small van = 255 cubic feet/7.25 cubic metres
- Transit van = 600 cubic feet/17 cubic metres
- Removal van = 1,280 cubic feet/36 cubic metres.
You should also budget for self-storage insurance, which often isn’t included.
How much is self-storage insurance?
Again, costs vary, so it’s advisable to shop around and find the best deal.
About Boxpod Space
Boxpod Space provides secure self-storage facilities in Sleaford, Wisbech and Oakham. We offer secure units and yards, in gated compounds monitored by 24-hour CCTV. To find out more about our units and competitive rates, please contact us. GET IN TOUCH