This post answers some of the questions not covered on our FAQs page.
1. What size are your self storage units?
The containers are 20ft x 8ft x 8ft, or 1,286 cubic feet.
In metric, that’s 6m x 2.4m x 2.4m, or 36.4 cubic metres.
The size is equivalent to 13 Ford Transit Vans, which means one container can easily store the contents of a standard house.
2. How secure are your self storage sites?
Our sites are monitored 24/7 by CCTV.
For occupiers, there are two levels of entry:
- A coded security gate, which is self-closing, so it can’t be left open by mistake; and
- A heavy duty padlock, which is provided for each storage container and yard.
If you wish, you can further secure your unit with a padlock of your own.
3. Can I drive my vehicle inside the self storage site?
Yes. You can enter the site in a vehicle and drive it up to your yard or container for easy loading and unloading.
4. Is there anything inside the containers?
No. The containers are provided in a clear and empty state to maximise the space available.
You can add your own temporary shelving, if you choose, providing it doesn’t damage the container. Doing so can increase the storage capacity and will help to keep your container neat and tidy.
5. What about lighting and electricity?
There’s no lighting, so if you’ll be accessing your container during the hours of darkness, you’ll either need a torch or vehicle lights to see inside.
And there’s no electricity, so if you need to undertake tasks, such assembling shelving for your container, you’ll need cordless equipment.
6. Is there anything I can’t store?
The following are prohibited and can’t stay in our units:
- Chemicals, radioactive materials or biological agents
- Firearms, weapons, ammunition or explosives
- Flammable items such as gas, paint, petrol, oil or cleaning solvents
- Food or perishable goods, which may attract rats and other pests
- Illegal items and substances
- Items that emit fumes, smells or odours
- Items containing moisture that may stain the unit
- Living creatures including birds, fish and animals
- Toxic waste, asbestos and other dangerous items.
7. Will a container keep my items dry?
All containers are watertight, so water can’t get in.
They’re also ventilated, which prevents condensation from forming on the inside.
8. Will my items be insured?
No. You’ll need to arrange adequate insurance for the full term of the storage period.
This includes renewing the insurance so it doesn’t lapse and arranging further cover if you decide to extend the length of the storage period.
This is a legal requirement.
Still have questions?
If there is anything else you would like to know, please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help you.
About Boxpod Space
Boxpod Space provides secure self-storage containers and yards in Sleaford, Wisbech, Oakham and Louth.
To find out more about our flexible terms and competitive rates, please contact us.GET IN TOUCH